The Zero Accident Forum is a voluntary network of Finnish workplaces. It is open to any workplace, regardless of its size, field or level of occupational health and safety. What is important is to have a genuine desire to improve occupational health and safety and strive towards zero accidents. The membership of the Zero Accident Forum means that the management and staff of the organization are committed to improving their own occupational health and safety and carrying out the work it entails.
The operation of the Zero Accident Forum
The Zero Accident Forum is a voluntary network of Finnish workplaces. The members share a genuine desire to improve occupational health and safety and strive towards zero accidents. The Forum consists of companies and organizations of various sizes representing various industries. Some of them can boast top level occupational health and safety even by world standards, while others may still be fairly poor workplaces in that respect. However, the main principle of the forum is to learn from each other, even across industries and different business sectors.
The member organizations of the Zero Accident Forum contribute to the funding of the activities through a small annual fee. As members, workplaces receive information about best practices at other workplaces and an opportunity to learn from the top international workplaces. The seminars and webinars organized by the Zero Accident Forum as well the Forum’s own extranet function as channels for open communication, where the members receive support and tools for improving their own safety at work from experts and other workplaces.
In joining the Zero Accident Forum, workplaces commit themselves to working together to improve health safety at work and to adhering to the following principles:
- We commit ourselves to sharing information on best practices with other workplaces
- We will improve our workplace safety in co-operation with our employees and management
- Health and safety are an integral part of our workplace’s successful business operations
- We commit ourselves to annually providing the Zero Accident Forum’s project team with information on occupational safety
What are the benefits of the membership?
The Forum supplies workplaces with the following:
- information about best practices at other workplaces
- materials and tools to promote the Zero Accident concept and improve occupational health and safety as a part of daily operations in the workplace
- support from experts and other workplaces for improving health safety at your work
- positive visibility
- national, regional, industry-specific seminars, webinars and events to match the needs of the workplaces
- and an opportunity to learn from the best international workplaces.
- Over 350 organizations around Finland as members
- Organizations from nearly 60 different branches: metal, chemical, paper, pharmaceutical, service, municipal etc.
- Activities: seminars, webinars, website, newsletter, campaigns
- Safety level classification criteria created for safety level certificates (yearly assesment of safety level at workplaces)
- Nearly 400 Zero Accident Forum safety level certifications granted
Broader view of Vision Zero in the Forum
- Zero accidents
- Zero occupational diseases
- Zero tolerance for bullying
- Zero work related sick leaves
- Zero uncared violence or harassment cases
- Zero cases of long-term exhaustion
- Zero managers and workers ignorant of occupational safety