Table of contents
FIOH’s training operations
FIOH’s training operations are divided into open supplementary training, occupational health care qualification training and custom training.
- Open training refers to the further education and supplementary training that FIOH provides in order to maintain and develop the professional skills of people working in occupational health and safety, and well-being at work. Such training can be conducted online, in person, or as hybrid training.
- OHS qualification training is further education of professionals and experts in the occupational health care sector.
- Custom training refers to training that is carried out on behalf of another organization.
The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health organizes both free and paid events.
Why and on what basis do we process personal data
We process personal data to carry out trainings and events for the following purposes:
- student and event sign-up processes
- carrying out student selection
- organizing training courses and events and providing related communications
- monitoring of attendance
- tracking and reporting completion of course tasks
- assessing and registering completed course tasks
- awarding certificates
- invoicing for training courses and events
- providing counselling
- developing training courses and events on the basis of feedback
- collecting data for statistical purposes: number of training course participants, number of event participants, total number of participants and occupational group-specific number of participants for courses that lead to qualification as an occupational health services professional or expert
- marketing communications and direct marketing related to training courses, events and services (see data protection information FIOH’s client and marketing register)
- scientific research (see data protection information regarding scientific data registers of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health)
The legal bases for the processing of personal data are
- Consent (Article 6, Section 1(a) of the GDPR) in situations such as entering data into a training platform used for the training.
- Contract (Article 6, Section 1(b) of the GDPR) when a client relationship is established between you and the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, for example when signing up for training.
- Legal obligation (Article 6, Section 1(c) of the GDPR) when we process personal data in connection with occupational health care professionals’ and specialists’ participation in qualification training.
- Legitimate interest (Article 6, Section 1(f) of the GDPR) when we process personal data for the purpose of managing a client relationship or for statistical purposes. The legitimate interest consists of the client relationship between the controller and the data subject. We have estimated that we can use a legitimate interest as a basis for processing. For example, we can communicate with you about our activities.
More information on the processing of personal data related to client relationships and marketing by the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health is available in the personal data protection information regarding FIOH’s client and marketing register.
What personal data we process
Typical processed personal data includes
- date of birth*
- job title, occupational safety task
- contact information such as email address, telephone number, postal address, location and billing address
- information about dietary restrictions
- information about attendance and previous studies, including tracking of progress, completed tasks and attendance
- participant feedback data
- other training and event-specific data
* Date of birth is collected in training that leads to qualification as a occupational health care professional or expert. Date of birth is also collected for training sessions in which it is needed for ordering cards used for certifying having undergone the training.
How do we obtain your personal data
We obtain personal data directly from you when you sign up for and take part in a training course or event. We may also receive personal information from your organization when the organization signs you up for training or an event.
For what purposes we disclose personal information
We use IT service providers that provide us with technical solutions for data processing. Personal data is processed in IT services suitable and secure for each type of data. The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health has an agreement with each IT service provider, and the terms and conditions for the processing of personal data have been defined.
As a rule, your personal data will not be disclosed to parties outside the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health or those taking part in providing the services. However, information about you completing a training course can be disclosed to the organization that obtained the training.
We may disclose personal data to parties conducting scientific research in accordance with the law.
We may disclose personal data to authorities as required by and in the ways permitted by law.
Do we transfer personal data outside the EU/EEA area
As a rule, we do not transfer personal data outside the EU/EEA area. Some IT service providers may constitute an exception, in which case data may be transferred outside the EU/EEA in accordance with the limitations posed by the data protection regulation.
How long we store personal data
We store personal data for as long as is necessary to comply with legal requirements and to manage the client relationship.
Data on the completion of training courses leading to qualification as an occupational health services professional or expert and courses where grades are given is stored permanently. Data on the completion of other training courses is stored for 10 years.
Do we conduct automated decision-making or profiling
We do not make automated decisions based on information from the training and events register.
What does the provision of information signify
The collection of personal data is necessary for participation in the training or event.
You have several rights in regard to your personal data, which vary according to the situation. You can submit a request to the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health regarding your personal data either as a free-form request or using a form provided by the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health. Submit the request to the Data Protection Officer of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
Contact details of the controller and the Data Protection Officer
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, P.O. Box 40, FI-00032 Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, switchboard +358 30 474 1
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
Training and events koulutusinfo(at)ttl.fi
The Data Protection Officer's phone number is +358 30 474 2429 and email is tsv(at)ttl.fi
In the case of confidential matters, you may also send the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health a secure email message. You must have a valid email address and telephone number in order to communicate securely with the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
Send a secure email message to the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
Contact information of the regulatory authority
The Data Protection Ombudsman’s Office is the data protection authority in Finland, which provides information on personal data processing and receives complaints.
Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman
Contact information of the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman