Data access permits to the information materials of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
Application for a data access permit
Applications for data access permits are delivered to the Data Protection Officer of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
The data access permit is handled in accordance with the valid permit process of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health. The permit decision is made by the Director General of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health on the basis of a statement from the unit of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health responsible for the data. The permit decision is influenced by factors such as the nature of the scientific research plan, the ability of the applicant to protect confidential data and the obligations related to the collection of data (e.g. consent). Conditions may be added to the granted permit.
Data access permits related to the permanent registers of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health are processed by the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health only if the data access permit applies exclusively to the data of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health. If your application concerns data that is subject to secondary use of social and health data from multiple organizations, please submit the application to Findata. The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health may, at its discretion, transfer the processing of a data access permit concerning permanent registers to Findata.
Information required for the application
The application for a data access permit consists of a free-form request and attachments depending on the case:
- a free-form request indicating the applicant's details (name, title, contact details), the purpose of and justification for needing the data, and the specification of the requested data;
- the plan for using the data, the research plan or a description of the official report;
- a description of the documentation, reporting and communication of the processing of personal data (only if the desired data contains personal data); and
- copies of any other permits relating to the data.
In addition, in the case of research, the application shall be accompanied by:
- the name and contact details of the person in charge of the study;
- decision on the approval of the study by the applicant’s organization; and
- the opinion of the ethics committee if the project has been discussed by the ethics committee.
The permit process with the necessary statements takes approximately two months at the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
Applying for a data access permit is free of charge. Fees may be charged for the extraction and aggregation of data in accordance with the workload. The applicant will receive an estimate of the possible fees before the work is started.
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
Data Protection Officer
Ask about data access permits
The Data Protection Officer of the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health provides advice on matters related to the disclosure of data and the processing of data access permits.